Tuesday, October 13, 2009

A few Days Out (1)

We've just had a few days out - a break away from home and work, to finish the school holidays for Desiree, and to escape the routines of the office for me.

We decided to go to Martinborough in the Wairarapa, but rather than stay in the Hotel, as we did last time, we stayed in the 'apartments' at Bordeaux on Cologne. They were hardly 'apartments', but rather new cottages. Nonetheless, they were new, well furnished and appointed, so worth it. They were also close enough to the Square to allow us to walk about the Village.

We went for a walk down the main road from Wellington and had a look into the Palliser Winery. We were also intrigued by a sign for a 'walking opportunity'. Our assumption is that it was pointing to an organised walk, but were puzzled that it didn't actually start at the nice but small park.

I also found a new micro brewery - Peak Brewery. Unfortunately, I didn't realise the beer was finished in the bottle and so still had sediment in it. As a result, after I had carried it home, laid it down in the fridge, and then tried to drink it, it was disturbed. Nonetheless I will endeavour to get fresh supplies and treat them more carefully.

Dinner that evening was at "Wendy Campbell's Courtyard Bistro". Very nice indeed, although the young waitress was non-plussed when I pointed out that I wanted an 'epiphany' but couldn't see it on the menu!

We moved on the following morning, headed for Havelock North. The weather had been cruel earlier in the week, with traffic caught on the Desert Road and the Napier-Taupo Road. The Ruahine Ranges to the west of Highway 2 still carried the evidence.

We would normally have used Highway 50, but this time, for a change, I decided to stay on Highway 2 through Waipukurau. That took us through Waipawa, and one of the best-named pubs I have encountered! Needless to say, I took a moment to note the sign but didn't imbibe. I was driving after all!

No comments: