Sunday, December 18, 2011

You know you're getting old ...

When your children start giving you a hard time over your diet!

Case in point: last night, after our weekly family dinner (a highlight of our week, I have to say), Charlotte was tidying up and asked me about some lettuce which hadn't been eaten.

She looked at me hard and asked "If I put this in the fridge, will you eat it?" So of course I said yes. After all, how could I say no to Charlotte?

She looked at me again; "Are you sure?" she said. Yes, I assured her. "I'll make a salad and take it to work for lunch."

She looked at me dubiously (after all, she has known me for 23 years now), but put the lettuce in a plastic box and put it in the fridge anyway.

So, Charlotte: this morning I got out the box of lettuce you saved for me, added some grapes, sliced up a tomato, chopped up some salami, added a couple of good-sized dabs of mayonnaise, put it all in a sealed lunch-box, and took it for lunch.

And, yes, I did eat it for lunch! So there!

No comments: